Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Thank you for choosing Cape Air"

Earlier this week my colleague K and I visited our sister plant in Maryland and we left from Rockland, which is much more convenient, and often cheaper, than flying out of Portland.

Cape Air operates a few flights a day between Rockland and Boston on well-used nine-seater Cessna 402s.  Until quite recently the Knox Regional Airport was a double-wide trailer, with baggage claim being a wooden rack on the tarmac and the TSA staff doubling as ticket agents.  I'm not making that up. 

Flying with a tiny air service is a much more personal experience than the big commercial carriers. (Apart from the whole unpressurized and very cold cabin thing.)

"Welcome aboard!  My name is Skippy Junior, and I'll be your co-pilot in training today.  Don't worry, I may look like I'm nine years old but I have in fact been through flight school."


"Our little plane here is much older than I am, but perfectly safe - Cape Air hasn't had a crash since 2008.  Ah, you all accurately reported your body weight when you checked in, right?"


"Please note the emergency exits, any one of which you can reach out and touch, and up front here about six inches from your knees is a fire extinguisher in case we need it.  Buckle up, everyone!"


"And thank you for choosing Cape Air."

Because we have, like, so many other options when we fly out of Rockland.

For the record, Skippy Junior - like all the Cape Air pilots - did a fine job, and his landing was particularly skillful.  The aerial view of the coast is always breathtaking, both in daylight and in the dark when the lights of the coastal towns sparkle against the black water. 

The new Knox Regional Airport is very nice, too.  But I kind of miss the old double-wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment