Sunday, April 3, 2011

Kitchen Gadget Appreciation Day

It has come to my attention that there is no such thing as Kitchen Gadget Appreciation Day.  This, in my opinion, is a grievous omission and should be remedied immediately.

The idea came to me yesterday whilst I was rooting around my shelves for this:


(n.b.:  Much as I try to repress them, occassionally I have these culinary spasms in which my Southern half makes its presence felt.  Usually the manifestation is mild and results in something harmless like cream gravy or overcooked green beans with fatback; other times, like yesterday, it bursts forth like a demon and takes possession of all reason.  Thus did we find ourselves boiling peanuts, fashioning a dessert from a tuber, and deep-frying poultry and onions.  I'll pause now while you look up the number for child protective services and make a quick phone call.)

While I'm looking for this thing - it's a slicer specifically designed to make a fried onion blossom; it was a gift from my MIL, okay? - it occurs to me that we take far too little time to acknowledge and celebrate the kitchen gadgets in our lives.  So I hereby proclaim today, April 3, 2011, the first annual Kitchen Gadget Appreciation Day.

Please take a moment to dig out and handle your gnocchi paddles and strawberry hullers and all the other little objects lurking toward the back of your kitchen drawers.  They're special.  Though we may not use them often, they're always there when we need them.  Let them know how much they're appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment