Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas topiaries

This weekend we have made gingerbread men, peppermint bark, peanut butter bars, toffee cookies, shortbread, gumbo, roast beef, and topiaries.  I can't wait to get back to work so I can sit down.

Here are the topiaries.  Started out a couple of weeks ago by painting some terra cotta flowerpots with a gold wash.




This afternoon we cut florist foam to fit in the pots.


By "we" of course I do mean "the help."  I adore compulsory labor.  Should have had more children.  They did a bang-up job decorating cookies today, with the exception of the anatomically correct gingerbread man, but that's a story for another time. 

I digress.

We took a couple of small Styrofoam cones and one larger one, and put three cinnamon sticks in the base of each to make a trunk.



Planted in the pot, with a healthy glop of hot glue in the (probably vain) hope that the thing will stay together.


Now the balsam tips (salvaged from the bottom branches we trimmed from the Christmas tree).




Finished with moss around the base and the top, with a red bead "star" because I didn't know quite what else to do.


I had every intention of gluing more red beads and small pinecones on the trees but ran out of glue cartridges, so we're calling it the simple look.



No comments:

Post a Comment