Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A somber bit of news

Poking around the web this morning I was startled to see a headline on CNN that Joe Bodolai is dead.

Joe Bodolai and I share an alma mater, and I interviewed him for a profile in the alumni magazine some years ago.  I enjoyed the conversation immensely - it was one that stood out among dozens of similar interviews.  Though the subjects included politicians and artists and professionals of no little renown, at this distance they have lumped together in my mind as one big, successful, famous Allegheny College alumnus who changed the world.

But my conversation with Joe was memorable.  He was charming and hilarious, of course.  He seemed like a good man, one with convictions; at that time he had just returned to the States from Canada, where he had moved as a conscientious objector back in the day.  He spoke at length of his wife and sons, whom he clearly adored.  He was modest about his own achievements.  He had an infectious joie de vivre.  Though he surely forgot the conversation as soon as it was over, by the time we hung up the phone I felt as if I'd made a friend.

And my wonderful editor allowed a direct quote which included the phrase "boob jobs" to remain in the finished article.  Certainly a first for that august publication and something of which I am justifiably proud.

My heart goes out to Joe's family.  Though he wrestled demons, he gave the gift of laughter to so many.  The world is dimmer for the loss of this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment