Sunday, November 7, 2010

The best bread evah

I don't have the patience of a food stylist, sorry.  Many people do it much better.  But you get the idea.  This is the bread I made yesterday, requested specifically by the friends we visited for dinner.

We make a lot a lot a lot of bread, usually of the French/Italian peasant free-form variety - I have maybe three or four recipes that I turn to regularly. 

The New York Times' 2006 no-knead bread recipe is a favorite:  easy peasy (as long as I can plan a day ahead), no fuss, and consistently produces the kind of loaf that prompts questions about which bakery I bought it from.

I've used all-purpose flour and bread flour with equal success, but for the ultimate rusticity (is that a word?) I substitute half a cup of white whole wheat flour for the white, and throw in a pinch of ascorbic acid.  The antique cast iron Dutch oven serves admirably for baking.

Our "friends" kept the half of the loaf we didn't finish last night, darn them.

No comments:

Post a Comment