Thursday, December 9, 2010

My favorite Christmas decoration

Sometimes – very rarely, but it does happen – you find the exactly the right gift for someone.  Something thoughtful, appropriate, unique, personal; something that will evoke memories and bring a smile every time they look at it.

This was one of those gifts.  (Hard to get a good shot of it without glare - sorry.)

It was presented to me maybe ten years ago by my choir in Pennsylvania, the year we tackled Craig Courtney’s “A Musicological Journey through the Twelve Days of Christmas” – wherein each verse progresses, in historical order, through musical periods (the first day of Christmas is set like a Gregorian chant, and by the twelfth you wind up in a mashup of The Stars and Stripes Forever – with stops along the way to visit Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Wagner and Saint-Saens.  Brilliant but brutal; I’m still not sure what possessed me that year).

The tree is a paper cutout representing the twelve days of Christmas – the twelve drummers comprise the fundament and the partridge is the crown.  The red batik-fabric background was dyed by one of the altos.  Another alto’s gallery took care of the matting and frame.

I get a warm fuzzy every single year when I put it out. 

A big shoutout to my UU homies back in Meadville:  Merry Christmannukwanzaa. 

I miss you guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment