Sunday, March 6, 2011

Winter visitors, wearing out their welcome

I swear, they wait in the woods and listen for the bird feeders to be filled up.  I don't like to think about how many dollars in black oil sunflower seeds are going down the collective gullet of this flock of turkeys; they're showing up three or four times a day, much to the dismay of our resident chickadees and nuthatches.


A couple of weeks ago, my tightwad side got the better of me and I decided to leave the feeders empty until the turkeys reached back into the dim, dark recesses of their pea-sized turkey brains and regained a passing familiarity with whatever mechanisms had enabled the species to survive for thousands of years before misguided, soft-hearted liberals started throwing tons of commercially cultivated seed at them.


That lasted about half a day.  The turkeys came and stood in the yard for three hours, heads and tails drooping, gazing forlornly at the empty feeders.

I know when I'm beat.


It's much better to keep the turkeys happy.  


These two are very happy.

"Mom, the turkeys are fighting!"

The remaining pictures in this series are CENSORED


No comments:

Post a Comment